Translate

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Randori informed Koryu Kata

The one thing that we don't practice is the nikyo technique.  So i figured I'd suck at it. 

First I was thinking about was that  how sweaty the hand was, how I probably aint gonna get the control spot,  how the hand change into the grip was a problem.  I was pre loaded with potential problems.

We started out slow partnering up finding a grip.  I found out I had more flexible wrists than most of them.  Probably alot of randori panic putting my self in nikyo for some other guy.   I was paired with a guy who couldnt find the sweet spot, but I tried to tell the guy that he had control of my posture which was the point.  Didn't seem to connect with him. 

 1st release, hand change, the whole lock the wrist bowing in thing.  I still saw it as a problem. They go all the way to the ground in a on the knees three legged table posture after a release action    I figured I needed something to pin the guys hand to while I did the hand change so i used my far leg above the knee. That's how it is in san kata, the hand is pinned by something.  I did the wrist roll kinda based on what we do in san kata with that kaiten nage looking move.  But I controlled him by spreading my legs and stretching his arm out  via horse stance. I got that from our standing pins in the 17.    A guy told me that he didn't know how but it was really effective. I got the tap outs no trouble, no fishing,  but no ritual or ceremony either.  It wasn't the way you are supposed to do it. 


I have been to an Morty-ryu seminar and attended maybe 7 or 8 classes that I see as mini-seminars.  I guess my goal was see techniques in a different environment, and look for different people to Uke/Tori for.  What I got was an education about my education.

When you deal with a Morty -ryu bunch you start to realize that many of their ideas are also in our koryu kata.  In fact, all of their ideas are in our koryu kata.  You may get the impression at first look that they are more informed than we are about things.  You may get the impression that because of their high flying ukemi that they are better than we are.  That's not the case. 

     They don't see the world in terms of problems. Randori based problems.   

   Original koryu kata's  were a way to preserve aikido techniques that were deemed not so randori friendly.  That is, competitive randori friendly.  I'm starting to look at tying koryu dai ichi and ni to randori practice.  The thing about the controlled randori practice is that it opens up the possibilities the way competitive randori doesnt.  The Ichi and Ni kata on the windsong site are basically informed by randori.  You can tell by the explanations.  I think that's the key to the koryu, making them fit randori, making them testable,  making them where everybody can play with them.  They can be an air show for the people that can handle it, or they can scale down to something simpler. 


     
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       


                                                                       




                                                                                                                                                                                 




                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment