Translate

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Win, or maybe lose. It just doesn't matter.

The best advice I can give a martial arts student is to find small incremental ways to make their selves a little bit tougher than they were five years ago. Its starts with the physical, then the mental, then the spiritual. It usually has to deal with sweat, and losing, and trying/wanting/working to win every once in a while. If you dont try to win, then you never experiment, and by that you really don't experience anything.  


         
    I am pretty convinced that there is no better fundamentals to the martial arts than what are found in Judo, or BJJ.   They both start with the notion of that there are two undisputed laws of the universe.  That there is solid ground underneath your body, and that living beings have to make an effort to keep from falling on it.  BJJ expands the picture in that when you accept those two laws then every part of the body seems to matter.

They both have a system of  relatively safe competition that hurts just enough to respect it. That allows you to dumbass your way into  kinetic enlightenment.  That allows you to lose to the strong, and see the strong lose.  It allows you to find out what works for you, and what for sure the hell doesnt.

I started doing Aikido "wrong" a couple of years ago.   I realized that Tomiki Aikido was the barebones basics, and that it was meant to start in dumbass mode.  The wrist wrasslin' that I did made my body stronger.  Taking atemi shots made me resilient.  I did the solo exercises "poorly" with speed.

 I stopped trying to move like Marsha Brady, (or maybe it was Jan), in that episode where they walked around with a book on their head.

Eventually I could do somethings better than Division I football players.  I'm not saying that I could kick their ass, I'm just saying that I could do a couple of things that they couldnt, and it stumped them.

BJJ has been pretty good to me so far.I get my ass kicked repeatedly in a good way. It makes me laugh how many ways it can kick your ass. In fact I laugh everytime I tap and call uncle.  Its so ridiculously simple. I

ts starting to tighten up the muscles that I didnt know I had.  It also has taught me some things about that over used word kuzushi.  The closer to the ground you are the more ways you can be jacked with.

I'm pretty convinced that all that kuzushi/aiki stuff relies on some fool on the other end not knowing what the hell is happening  to him.  It's like trying to recall what your wife told you to pick up at the store, in the middle of a hail storm, while two maladjusted chimps all over your body arm pitting  your face.

That whole budo is love thing is not about being " that guy."  The guy who everybody knows can kick ass.  Its all about cultivating that, " I didn't know he had it in him." persona.  Its more Rodney Dangerfield than Royce Gracie.

If you follow the peace and love routine you'll never get a chance to settle the score with the Judge Smails of the world.  Winning is important, but its more important on who you choose to win against.

No comments:

Post a Comment