Translate

Friday, May 17, 2013

Mas Problemas con Tejazushi part II


I've been studying this clip a lot.  I mentioned in part I, that our 17 kata assumes that 2 guys are walking toward each other, one trys a shomenate and the other attempts a tejazushi.  These dudes in the kata walk towards each other and the other guy stops in extension and the other guy does a technique.  The off balancing is implied.  In Texhomiki the actual kuzushi is attempted in some way. 

Anyway, My question was where in the hell did Tejazushi come from?  

Some one posted that it was an adaptation of  a Judo move.  In the early years of Tomiki Aikido, you can pretty much say that the style was more or less propagated rather than directly transmitted step by step to foreign students.  Most, if not all. of these students were, go figure, Judo Guys.   I can say that in comparison to Japanese direct transmission styles Texhomiki could be called "patchy".  Martial Arts instructors tend to teach what they can explain well and demonstrate.  Its not that big of a leap to suppose that an competent Judo instructor could adequately fill in the blanks where needed and make it work. 



When I first watched Aikido Kyogi,  I noticed that the walking had gotten a kendo, almost karate look to it.   I also noticed that there was no diagonal X stepping.  That showed up later when Ohba was trying to hit Tomiki with a bokken.  It was meant to be an evasion step.  The first walking step was a tsugi ashi concept backwards and forwards.  the X stepping was implied and shown later in a separate exercise. (heres a clip of some dude doing non- x stepping footwork)


So when did tsugi ashi, get replaced with the X stepping?    I have heard many Texhomiki folks say that the X stepping in the walking is related to Tejazushi. 

So this is my question:  where did the X stepping come from? and when did change from an evasion concept to an offbalance concept? 

I have also wondered where in the hell that 2nd walking movement kicks in.  Its used in the above clip in , #8 and # 9.  The forward X step is used in #10, wakegatame and in Ushiro ate.  In fact, all the techniques have a strong correlation to some sort of walking step. The angular stepping on the atemi waza, I would say correlate to the chalice step.  Shomenate is an abbreviated chalice stepping angle and so is Aigamae ate.  gyuku gamae ate/gedan are  shortened chalice steps backwards (if you are doing Tegatana dosa with no x steps). completion/kake steps seem to correlate with tsugi ashi .

In fact, I would venture to say that anything that appears to be an x stepping concept is actually a chalice stepping concept.  When you look at Japanese school Tegatana Dosa there is no actual X step.  Its a tsugi ashi, the X is implied in the chalice step.  

I'm going to qualify my following remarks with my I'm just a Shodan admonishment.  Folks, I really think that Tejazushi makes the walking kata almost pointless.  Sure, I'm basing this on one clip and 4 years of having that not so fresh feeling about tejaszushi.  And here lately, Ive tried staying way the hell out, on the edges, and trying real damn hard not to do a tejazushi and Ive actually gotten a little better in Randori.  I could have had a lucky night, who the hell knows.  One thing I do know is that judo guys and tai chi guys tend to eat my lunch because I'm constantly trying to "X" in with a tejazushi movement.  

Anyway, when did the Tsugi ashi get replaced with the X stepping?   Was Tejazushi the culprit?  Somebody weigh in on this. Also, are the walking kata and the tejazushi 17 even related animals anymore? 









No comments:

Post a Comment