Translate

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

OKIE-DO #1

I do Aikido.  A branch of  Tommy Key Aikido.  What I want to do with this blog
is what the Japanese folks call, "looking practice."  Sometimes you learn best when  you stand around with your hands in your pockets and look at the world with a friendly take it or leave it attitude. Hearing people out, helps too.  If somebody tries to sell a technique to you. Its probably bullshit. If you stand around the dojo saying, Yeah, but, yeah, but, yeah, but, yeah, but....you've contracted dojo tourettes.

 I wish some one would make me a japanese scribble of take it or leave it. I'd hang it in my bathroom.

These guys were take it or leave it type of guys.       

 --MORTY YOUSHIBA, Honorary OKIE, and founder of Aikido. A fighting farmer and proud of it. 

-- TOMMY KEY, loses points for being an college professor, earns mega points for doing time in a Soviet Gulag.  He earns honorary OKIE status because you can tell from his pissed off expression that he really hates wearing a Tie.  

You can tell a real OKIE by their manner of speech.  Its circular, much like aikido.  A typical OKIE has to tell a couple of stories before they get to the point. Morty was a talker and a circle speaker.  Tommy not so much. 

circle speak #1
A lot of people call aikido a spiritual vehicle. If that means getting off your ass 2-3 times a week and driving thirty miles to Denton Texas then I guess I'm a spiritual dude.  If it means trying not to be an asshole then I guess I'm a spiritual dude. If it means cutting through the assorted bullshit of the Wal-mart/McDonald/world  to get to see what really matters and what doesnt then I guess I'm a spiritual dude.

Circle speak #2
I'm not a japan buff. I haven't drank the Shinto cool-aid yet, I don't see purple streams of Ki floating down from the sky,  and I have yet to buy a Hakama(they remind me of MC hammer pants).  All I know is what I read, hear, and watch on YouTube,  and what I feel down at the Dojo.  


Tommy Key aikido has 17 basic techniques. It was designed with two things in mind.  First aikido had to be observable and measurable in someway to satisfy a bunch of bureaucrats at Waseda university. And second,  the aikido chicken had to be reduced to chicken mcnuggets in order to get a bunch of unfocused college dorks (who were pursuing a P.E. credit and seeking procreation recreation) to understand it.  Truthfully, Its a screwy way to learn aikido.  But as  dumbass luck would have it it provides a toolbox to figure out aikido.

 I dont know what the Japanese term for" frustrated as all get out" would be.(make me a Japanese scribble and i'll hang it in my other bathroom.)  but the 17 puts you there.  stay there long enough and you start figuring things out.  After two years I'm still trying to figure out 1 through 5.  I really  hate #2 right now. I used to hate #5.   

  Here's in a second I'll show you the 17.  Its our basic shitwork kata.  To get good at anything you have to do the shitwork.  here is some OKIE zen koans....about shitwork.
  1. this is genuine(pronounced jen-you-wine) bullshit.
  2. I hate this shit
  3. no shit??
  4. your shitting me!!!
  5. hey this shit actually works if you move an inch to the left
  6. boy, we are in deep shit now.
  7. Somebody, needs to clean this shit up!! 
  8. what the???why doesnt this shit work on you? (Scooters koan)



This a pretty good version of the seventeen.  Its from across the pond fish and fucking chips style.  The Queen would be proud.

The first technique is called shomen ate. pronounced, Show-me- you -aint- naughty. its a palm to the chin deal.  I like to look at the touches before the chin music. the blend, extend, and lead stuff.  Nick Lowry can explain it.  I met him once coming out of our dojo bathroom.  

 The hakama makes him look like a character on the nick jr show olivia.
But in real life hes a lot bigger than what he looks on the internet. (Which reminds me, I aint paid my Kaze uta budo-kai dues in a while....)


 
Now here is something else. a damned good karate guy. Named Iain Abernathy.  I see some 17ish looking ideas in this picture show.

 


now heres an aikido guy. he shows a separation thing.










Heres a survival self defense guy in #1 country.





 




And here is how millionaires use the stiff arm.    




6 comments:

  1. thanks. I'm at the point where Im at the point where I want to connect up with folks and feel their aikido. i might come see you one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. I want to hear those millionaires talk about getting the hip into the stiff arm...

    Yoroshiku.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got your last post on the vassar soft kono aikido you've been pickin and grinnin on. you need to make a trip to this side of the tomiki universe. we speak your lingo, senor.

      Delete
  3. Very nice indeed. I recommend the Hakama: breezy (and you know what I mean). To your list I would add 8. What the? Why doesn't this shit work on you? I hope you do make it down to Austin, we can explore this shit together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'll edit it el pronto, amigo. and ill give you the props.

      Delete